[Taxacom] Nothofagus (Chile-New Zealand distributions)

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Mon Jul 26 20:35:59 CDT 2010

Hi Geoff,
      You are correct.  I shouldn't have used the word "directly", which
implies a straight line.  The Nothofagus driftwood which went from Chile
to Tasmania no doubt was swept north of 30 degrees and then west along
the return current.
       However, although this would be true for modern and late Tertiary
ocean currents, some of the dispersals which I am talking about probably
occurred in the early or middle Tertiary when ocean currents in the
southern Pacific were no doubt quite different.  Anyway, as far as I am
concerned, the whole Nothofagus biogeography debate is still in the
early stages, and new data could totally change our understanding of how
much vicariance and dispersal each played a role in shaping the present
distribution.  The main massings of panbiogeography may well prove to be
overly simplistic in many cases.  Only time will tell.
       -------Cheers,
                           Ken