[Taxacom] Integrative taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Jul 31 19:23:46 CDT 2010

I rather think that the candidate species idea is a bad one! It complicates
things without resolving anything. Species are inherently hypothetical entities
and always subject to new evidence and/or interpretation. This is in part why we
have the facility to synonymize names which we previously thought were good
species. If a "Candidatus" proves to be a good species, then we still need to
track published info about it when it was still a "mere Candidatus", which
involves keeping track of all such names as if they were "official" names - so
it simply just doesn't make life any easier to introduce a whole new class of
names to be tracked ...

Stephen