[Taxacom] Integrative taxonomy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Jul 31 23:07:40 CDT 2010

to recap slightly, I am wholly in favour of a properly integrated single system
of taxonomy/nomenclature, which takes into account DNA and whatever else
evidence, though I think it will be a "challenge" to keep all the elements
balanced appropriately. I am mainly diagreeing with the "candidate species"
proposal, as I don't think it solves anything, but just adds a new level of
complexity. I suspect you are thinking of these "candidate species" from your
perspective as a balanced taxonomist, so you are thinking that you can ignore
the names created by the gel-jockeys, and all will be well. However, what I can
foresee happening is this: the DNA crew will ignore your names, and use only
their names (based on DNA only), and since they are the teachers pets of
managers and funders, their names will grow in perceived importance at the
expense of yours ... the tentative names will become THE names ...