[Taxacom] ICZN procedure question

Mary Barkworth Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu
Fri Nov 12 06:45:43 CST 2010

One reason for keeping them on TAXACOM is that the issue itself affects all codes, hence all taxonomists, not just the Zoo Code and zoologists. I can delete the responses that are about details in the Code as easily as those comments I (but not everyone) find uninteresting. So please, stay in Taxacom.

Here is another suggestion for the "hard copy somewhere" folks: Mandatory printout (or scan) sent to the national museum and/or national library (or any entity designated by the country) plus one in an internationally recognized institution in another country, plus provide the appropriate indexing body of the nomenclatural information that has been published. There is the question of who makes sure that this is done.

Meanwhile, let's help our indexing bodies expand their abilities so they 1) can display PDFs, at least of nomenclatural portions of papers; 2) exist in at least duplicate in different parts of the world; and 3) regularly exchange information (electronically) with their siblings. This is probably a funding issue as much as anything. As a start, portals in different alphabets and languages for submitting information about published names, such as Paul is setting up for Index fungorum.

Mary