[Taxacom] WoRMS fixes Kerguelenia ...

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Thu Sep 2 18:15:57 CDT 2010

Stephen Thorpe wrote:

> yes, indeed (I've only just stopped doing cartwheels on the table!) [just
> little sarcasm for a gloomy friday in Auckland] :)

Ah, but a glorious spring day here in Tassie...

Just to follow up on Geoff Read's point - one difference between a database with a web query interface / reporting facility, and a wiki, is that what is displayed as a result of web queries to the former is only as much as the custodians of the system may wish to expose, in other words there may well be (and usually is) additional information held at database level which is not included in web pages generated - all entirely at the direction of the application designer / maintainer (I know this because I do it, and no doubt it is true for other systems too).

Having said that, unlike a wiki, in fact most databases natively do *not* record a history of changes to content - much like a spreadsheet, if you change a value it is changed - so it is again up to the application designers to separately engineer a "change history" component as part of their software if this is desired. To the extent that WoRMS has done this, that is a credit to them.

Cheers - Tony

Tony Rees
Manager, Divisional Data Centre,
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research,