[Taxacom] WoRMS fixes Kerguelenia ...

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Sep 2 18:27:51 CDT 2010

yes, and this raises a more general point: when citing web pages for
biodiversity info, it is customary to put something like "date accessed: 3 Sep
2010", but given that most websites/online databases don't actually make
available the edit history, this has very little meaning. On the other hand,
Wikispecies and Wikipedia do make the edit history available, and previous
(dated) versions of the page can be called up and linked to directly, and you
know exactly who did what when. For example, here are two links to (currently)
the same Wikispecies page:
(1) http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Izatha_balanophora
(2)
http://species.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Izatha_balanophora&oldid=994241

right now, they look the same. BUT, (1) points to the current edit, which will
change if someone edits it, whereas (2) will always point to what you see (i.e.,
the version which is at present the current version, but which may not be in
future).

I see this as a tremendous advantage of the Wiki system, whereas the WoRMS way
is rather "half-arsed" (though this is in turn better than the usual "no-arsed")

Stephen