[Taxacom] New Zealand earthquake (and California's future)

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Sun Sep 5 00:33:13 CDT 2010

Ken Kinman wrote:

"If such a quake occurred that close to Los Angeles or San Francisco, it would be FAR worse, because most Californians in general still don't seem to take the danger seriously enough."

The best discussions I've read of California's shaky geology and Californian fatalism are in John McPhee's brilliant 'Assembling California' (1993), which was included in the 1998 omnibus volume 'Annals of the Former World'.

But you can find the same attitudes expressed in every culture, when people are asked whether they are (or were) worried about a calamity. 'If it happens, it happens. It's part of the price I pay for living here. Why worry?' It's not that people are stupid, it's that they don't concern themselves with the consequences of their actions. See http://www.dilbert.com/2010-08-23/
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate