[Taxacom] WoRMS fixes Kerguelenia ...

Geoff Read gread at actrix.gen.nz
Sun Sep 5 03:47:18 CDT 2010

>>> On 4/09/2010 at 10:59 a.m., Stephen Thorpe  wrote:

> yes, but I was comparing the structure, not the content
> currently, there is very little on Wikispecies for your group, but
imagine equal content and ask which would be better then ...

Well WoRMS still obviously. There is much more capability to run logical
checks to identify possible erroneous records and inconsistencies, and to
extract precise datasets, and to be queried via various web protocols
automatically.

I somewhat hesitated to mention all that as I presume Stephen is thinking
for the direct end user over the net, where there might not be that much
of a visible difference, but I suspect WoRMS will be less work to keep the
taxonomy current and even now has a more flexible and precise search
capacity.  A drag and drop taxonomy tree for editors like in EOL lifedesks
and in Specify would be a nice feature update, but that very ease of
change has its dangers.

Geoff