[Taxacom] New CUIC website

James K. Liebherr jkl5 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 7 11:09:40 CDT 2010

*The Cornell University Insect Collection (CUIC) is happy to announce*

release of a new, vastly improved website for use by systematic
entomologists. We have attempted to provide some useful information to
the casual web-surfer, at the same time giving the professional user the
opportunity to search our type database, and to learn general
information concerning our taxonomic holdings. Given our size, we have
eschewed the development of a comprehensive specimen-level database.
Instead we are targeting important taxa for that activity; various bee
taxa will be so treated under our new NSF bee databasing project (done
in collaboration with the AMNH, John Ascher PI, and numerous other
bee-holding institutions).

We have a number of specialized collections, including the James Needham
collections of Odonata and Ephemeroptera, and the Oskar Johannsen
collections of various nematoceran families. We have databased these
slide-mounted collections, and the taxon lists are available as PDFs
associated with the various pages describing the collections.

The CUIC has had a long-standing tradition of accessioning both
holotypes and other primary types, as well as paratypes. This results in
a substantial curatorial load, however type specimens of more than 7300
species are currently searchable in our collection.

The link to the new website is: http://cuic.entomology.cornell.edu/

Sincerely,
James K. Liebherr
Professor & Curator