[Taxacom] Serious questions about taxonomy/ontology

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Wed Sep 8 17:14:00 CDT 2010

There's a large academic and commercial enterprise which can loosely be called 'knowledge management'. It has strong links to Web-based projects such as the one about which Joel Sachs has just posted a query. For an example, please read

http://thetaxonomyblog.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/skills-of-a-classy-taxonomist/

My questions are:

- Do any of the principles or results of this enterprise have anything to do with what we do as biological taxonomists?
- If so, do they suggest any ways in which we can improve what we do?
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate