[Taxacom] Serious questions about taxonomy/ontology

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Sep 8 19:22:05 CDT 2010

is it just me, or is this gibberish:

'At SemTech in June 2010,  several speakers including Professor Deb McGuiness
drew a very clear line was drawn between what a taxonomist does and what an
ontologist does.  Taxonomists build hierarchies, and ontologists determine
classes or categories.   In other words, ontologies are neat and unambiguous,
and taxonomies are a bit messy.'

A taxonomist (not to be confused with a systematist), according to my
understanding, describes and classifies. In the above quote, they seem to have
given names to each of these two tasks, and called taxonomy the task of
classifying what ontologists have described! Nice bit of jargon switching! Just
goes to show how far these people are from taxonomic reality ... We do need
knowledge management of taxonomic outputs, but this isn't the way to do it IMO

Stephen