[Taxacom] Serious questions about taxonomy/ontology

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Wed Sep 8 19:44:30 CDT 2010

Hi, Stephen.

It isn't gibberish in the knowledge-management world, where a 'taxonomist' isn't what you and I think it is. Let's call the two TaxonomistsKM and TaxonomistBio

What I'm keen to know is whether anyone with experience in this area (Rod page types?) sees a connection between how TaxonomistsKM work and how TaxonomistsBio do, and whether as TaxonomistsBio we can learn anything from TaxonomistsKM.

At the moment, the only connection I see is in how we deal with the *outputs* of taxonomy, i.e. publish them as straight text or as semantically marked-up documents with hidden RDF or other tags. No feedback to how we come up with those outputs, yet. But maybe I haven't penetrated the gibberish deeply enough yet...
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate