[Taxacom] article on the decline of taxonomists

Mary Barkworth Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu
Thu Sep 9 12:15:46 CDT 2010

A more interesting question (my opinion) is whether there have been any changes in practice/education/society that have had a positive impact on recognition of the importance of basic taxonomic research and employment opportunities for individuals in the area. It would, however, be difficult topic to find information about. Was there an expansion after land grant colleges and the Extension Service were established in the US? What about the impact of big environmental push in the 1960s? How about passage of the Endangered Species act?  I know these are all events within the US. Perhaps folks in other countries can identify what one would expect to be an employment driver - and see what happened.
Just a thought - going to push the sherry button.

Mary