[Taxacom] Survey on Knowledge Organization Systems for Biodiversity Science

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at nescent.org
Thu Sep 9 16:19:07 CDT 2010

Dear colleague:

The team listed below is charged by the Global Biodiversity
Information Facility (GBIF) with developing a position paper about its
future needs for Knowledge Organization Systems (KOS), a rubric which
includes thesauri, controlled vocabularies, ontologies, gazetteers,
linked data, and other such resources. The paper will cover tools,
impediments to deployment, training requirements, etc. After we draft
it, the position paper will be put forth for a period of public
comment before final recommendations to GBIF.

In order to put together the position paper, we solicit your opinions,
experiences, needs, and information on resources you already in place
about Knowledge Organization for biodiversity research. Please go to http://surveymonkey.com/GBIFKOSurvey
  to participate in the survey.

We especially value your input about points you feel the survey
doesn’t cover.

Please feel free to forward this invitation to mailing lists or
colleagues you feel appropriate,  hopefully to people who may not have
seen it already.

Thanks
GBIF KOS position paper team
Bob Morris, Convenor.
Terry Catapano, Donald Hobern, Hilmar Lapp, Norman Morrison, Natasha
Noy, Mark Schildhauer, Dave Thau