[Taxacom] Propagation of bad sameAs statements

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 23:43:56 CDT 2010

> Is this pedantry really necessary??? Surely some terms can have definitions that
> are intuitive and vague just like English (and other) languages?

Yep...  because this is this is Taxacom... :)

With systems that depend on vocabularies, ontologies and linked data,
we can not afford to assume that we know what an object or term is
about based on an inferred understanding of what its name or label
might mean in another common or even a related context.

The only way around this is to define everything, for every context in
which it is likely to occur.  As they say, the problem with common
sense, it is neither common, nor always sensible. Pedantry rules, I'm
afraid.

And with invasive species, legislation and lawyers get involved... go
'intuitive and vague' at your peril...

jim

--
Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~