[Taxacom] Propagation of bad sameAs statements

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 00:07:35 CDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Stephen Thorpe
<stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
> So, we define everything in terms of everything else, and end up with a huge
> circularity in which it is hard to see that we are any the wiser!

It only becomes circular if you let it.  If there are terms that tend
to be ambiguous, just don't let them travel without the namespace or
context in which they were defined.

For invasive species, find a definition you like and anchor it (I
would be really surprised if this term was not rigourously defined
somewhere in a scientific or semi official context).  Or, if the
definition does not cover what you want, make you own up and anchor it
to that - then, when you start your chatter, people will know they are
dealing with stephen.thorpe:invasive_species  which may or may not be
the 'same_as' or 'near_as_damnit' tosomebody else's definition of the
term.

> Actually, I'm all for pedantry...

it has been noticed... :)

jim