[Taxacom] article on the decline of taxonomists

dipteryx at freeler.nl dipteryx at freeler.nl
Fri Sep 10 03:51:48 CDT 2010

Van: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu namens Peter Stevens
Verzonden: do 9-9-2010 15:53

> Seriously, we have been complaining about our decline
> and the fact that nobody loves us for a century or so;
> it does get a bit stale.  I have often thought about
> pulling together the relevant literature;

***
A century looks like an overstatement; more likely something
like half that. A likely cause/correlation for the decline
should be decolonization; the very reason for having colonies
was to have products such as spices, drugs, dyes, etc, etc,
derived from the living world. A lot of research capacity was
tied up with that, including taxonomy; and when this economic
incentive fell away ...

Paul