[Taxacom] article on the decline of taxonomists

dipteryx at freeler.nl dipteryx at freeler.nl
Fri Sep 10 06:07:28 CDT 2010

I suppose that "Further no capacities have been build in the
new countries." is mostly true, but that is very much part of
the problem. The time factor is not that conclusive, given
that decolonization did not happen all at once, and that there
is a delay in build-down of existing institutions.

It is very noticeable that if you want a book on trees in India
it is far easier to get a reprint of a British colonial book
than something contemporary. There is more literature on
(not-decolonized) New Caledonia than on a comparable decolonized
island.

It won't be the sole factor, but it looks to be important.

Paul