[Taxacom] Serious questions about taxonomy/ontology

Wolfgang Lorenz faunaplan at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 10 07:27:17 CDT 2010

one thing that we can learn (if we want) is: help each other and join
efforts.

An example:
Some days ago, Stephen Thorpe pointed to a wikispecies page that is really
"fleshed out", WOW!:
http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Oopterus_soledadinus

What is missing there is a link to 4 good occurrence records accessible
through GBIF, e.g.:
http://data.gbif.org/occurrences/147221279

... and help GBIF to get out of one of many data processing pitfalls:
When searching on "Oopterus", GBIF informs us "no georeferenced records
currently available for Oopterus". The reason: they have discarded the South
Georgia Island records because the co-ordinates fall outside the specified
country "United Kingdom" ... :(

Cheers,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Lorenz, Tutzing, Germany