[Taxacom] Propagation of bad sameAs statements or definitions

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Fri Sep 10 09:07:40 CDT 2010

On 9/10/2010 2:28 AM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> well, I did seriously offer a definition of "invasive species", viz.
>
> an invasive species is one which has a definite tendency to expand its range
> into areas where it is unwanted
>
> Definitions which define them in terms of particular or general "negative
> effects" of the species are not good, because there are a great many
> possible particular effects and the general concept is not well-defined, unless
> you define it as an "unwanted effect", and then with a bit of simplification you
> get my definition. Basically, it is invasive if border control wants to keep it
> out ...

* I've poked my oar into this one on the aliens list without converting
anybody, but the anthropocentrism of all the widely used definitions of
"invasive [alien] species" really annoys me, since many of them are
effectively the same as the definition of "pest," or no different from
"naturalised alien species."

I've tried for a biocentric definition of invasive as: "a colonizing
species which, in a particular area, causes a quantitative decline in
biological diversity in habitats it colonizes."

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm