[Taxacom] Propagation of bad sameAs statements

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Sep 10 18:15:57 CDT 2010

>The invasive species definitions you complained about have nothing to do with
>Linked Data
Yes, I know, but I had nothing to say about linked data, but plenty to say about
the quality of the data that was being linked (a recurring theme in my posts!)

>They are in dbpedia because they are in Wikipedia. (Wikipedia introductions are
>mapped to dbpedia abstracts.) So you're free
to change them at their source
Perhaps not so free ... I cannot simply impose my own definitions on Wikipedia
without citing a published source (NOR)

My proposed definition of "invasive species" isn't of the "because I said so"
form. The point I want to reiterate is that the ONLY thing invasive species have
in common in terms of their effects is "bad effects"! But what are "bad
effects"? This is way to vague. I suggest that "bad effects" are unwanted
effects, and this concept of "unwanted" presumably could in principle be given a
rigorous psychological definition. It is VERY different to saying that it is an
invasive species because it is on some list of invasive species ...

>What about precise definitions of individual taxa? How should we define the
>Chukar partrige? Morphologically? Genetically? Behaviourally? We can give
>descriptions, with various levels of precision, but, ultimately, "Some
>taxonomist said so" is the ultimate answer to why a population is classified a
>particular way

This is a very different problem...and not one I have time to go into (again)
here ...

Stephen