[Taxacom] Propagation of bad sameAs statements or definitions

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Sep 10 18:47:44 CDT 2010

on second thoughts Fred, perhaps your proposed definition:

"a colonizing species which, in a particular area, causes a quantitative decline
in biological diversity in habitats it colonizes."

does capture something that mine doesn't which people tend to mean when they
talk about "invasive species", namely that the negative effects must have
something to do with a decrease in biodiversity, HOWEVER, two points:

(1) looks like species released for biological control might count as "invasive
species" by your definition, since they do cause a 'quantitative decline in
biological diversity in habitats they colonize'. But such species are not
unwanted, so don't count as invasives by my definition.

(2) that aside, what factors make my definition "better" than yours, or vice
versa?? If your definition is accepted, then we don't have a term for what I am
calling "invasive species", i.e. basically pest species that are moving around
as opposed to staying put, but this is arguably an important concept to have a
term for. On the other hand, if my definition is accepted, then we don't have a
term for pest species which tend to decrease (native, wanted) biodiversity in
areas that they colonize, as opposed to those which might have other negative
effects like causing itchy bites or undermining building foundations. The
question is: do we need a special term for "invasive species" in your more
restricted sense, or can we just deal with them in the same way as for species
with other negative effects? I guess it comes down to whether we have dedicated
teams of people who focus just on control/study of pest species which reduce
biodiversity ... they might like a special term to express what they do ...

Stephen