[Taxacom] Serious questions about taxonomy/ontology

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Sat Sep 11 01:50:23 CDT 2010

Dear Nico,

Many thanks for pointing us to your paper. This is *exactly* what I was looking for: a side-by-side comparison of the thinking of taxonomists like me and These Funny Other People Calling Themselves Taxonomists. Reading it, I also found spooky parallels with the current 'invasive species' thread on Taxacom.

I also support your conclusions, in part. For a long time I've worried that the pursuit of One True Tree of Life was luring taxonomists away from less sterile pathways of discovery. A perfect fit between a classification of life and an ontological structure would increase the allure.

You can find one of my posts on this topic here: http://markmail.org/message/wyvoygt5srmbdfdm
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate