[Taxacom] Propagation of invasive species definitions

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Sat Sep 11 08:26:06 CDT 2010

On 9/11/2010 12:16 AM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:

> Fred, Fred, Fred ... OK, start again:
> let us assume (for the sake of sanity!) that the meaning of the term
> "invasive species" is not idiomatic, i.e., assume that its meaning is
> the conjunction of the meanings of its constituent terms, "invasive" and
> "species". Lets also assume that we kind of know what "species" means.
> So, the question now becomes: what does "invasive" mean? Well, it means
> having a tendency to invade. What does "invade" mean? Well, it is a bit
> vague, but it would seem to involve a group of agents entering a new
> area in considerable numbers, and having some sort of significant
> unwanted effect...

* okay, the question is, what is invaded? At least in Canada, again, in
the late 1980s and early 1990s, the original idea was that it was
habitats otherwise undisturbed by people that are invaded, so that
"invasive" species don't include those that malacologists call
synanthropic, however abundant these may be. The metaphor was that the
invasive species marches into the woods or wetlands on its own, like an
invading army conquering territory, rather than being set up by overt
human creation of its habitat.

On my 2007 invasive species page - http://pinicola.ca/limvade.htm - I
suggested that "Humanity is not just a single species: Homo sapiens is
always accompanied by a surrounding community of mutually dependent
symbionts: domestic, inquiline, feral, pathogenic, or weedy, and in
Canada only certain of these escape to wreak havoc in natural
communities."  For the previously recognized kinds of exotics, humanity
is the invader, and the synathropic species is just a camp follower. Are
crop species invasive? - they've beguiled humanity into vastly expanding
their ranges.

My suggestion that the definition of "invasive species" be based on a
"quantitative decline in biological diversity" is just an attempt to
quantify the fact of invasion, and the "takeover" of the invaded
habitat, not to embody this as an "unwanted effect" of the invasion -
though these declines in biodiversity are obviously often an unwanted
effect.

When was the term "invasive species" first used in New Zealand?

(I've got very tenuous web connection here, so I haven't checked the
suggested websites)

fred.

> a Google search for "invasive species" reveals all sorts of stuff:
> http://www.google.co.nz/search?rlz=1T4SKPB_enNZ320NZ320&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22invasive+species%22&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai
> <http://www.google.co.nz/search?rlz=1T4SKPB_enNZ320NZ320&hl=en&source=hp&q=%22invasive+species%22&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai>
> this one is interesting: http://www.isinz.com/
> 'Invasive species are a major factor in the decline of indigenous
> biodiversity around the world'
> this can be true without it being true BY DEFINITION, and I think so. I
> think that "invasive species" are just species with a tendency to invade
> new areas. This is the definition. It so happens, in fact, that many
> such species have negative impacts on biodiversity. This is true, but
> NOT part of the definition.
> Stephen

          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm