[Taxacom] Serious questions about taxonomy/ontology

Curtis Clark lists at curtisclark.org
Mon Sep 13 08:00:29 CDT 2010

  On 9/12/2010 2:37 PM, Richard Zander wrote:
>   You _could_ say that to "Big Funder" but you have to detail your own
> methods if you can, not just disparage those of others. Naif in the
> Woods may say innocence needs no defense, but Big Funders compare
> details of methods.
This is interesting. In most fields, funders compare results, not
methods, and of course pattern recognition does fairly well in the
results category. I draw the conclusion that Big Funders in science
compare methods simply because results are so uncommon as to provide an
inadequate heuristic for future work.