[Taxacom] serious questions about taxonomy and ontogeny

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Tue Sep 14 09:20:43 CDT 2010

On 9/14/2010 11:01 AM, Robin Leech wrote:
> Not quite true.  Ottawa used to have the Biosystematics Research Institute,
> and it covered entomologists and botanists.  But of course Govts can never
> leave
> a good thing alone for long, so that has been broken up into several groups
> in many
> organizations (Can. Nat. Museum, Forestry, Agriculture, and others).

* I don't believe any portions of the Biosystematics Institute came to
the Canadian Museum of Nature (formerly National Museum of Canada, and
then the National Museum of Natural Sciences), which has long suffered
from the designation of "down-sizing since 1977."

The CMN's present Insect collection was started de novo, not spun off
from Biosystematics. This dates from the dispersal of the museum from
their newly constructed Victoria Memorial Museum Building after the
Parliament buildings burned in 1916, so that the Senate could meet there
- Agriculture took over the National Collection" of Insects, and has
held it ever since.

or so I understand,

fred.

> Robin

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm