[Taxacom] serious questions about taxonomy and ontogeny

Redhead, Scott Scott.Redhead at AGR.GC.CA
Tue Sep 14 12:56:14 CDT 2010

Hi - this is off the central topic and just a point of clarification
regarding the former Biosystematics Research Institute in the Canadian
government's Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC).  That was the name
of the institute when I joined it, and although it changed names and
merged with other institutes and centres, the basic unit still exists
and was never broken up or dispersed. CNC is the museum acronym for the
Canadian National Collection of Insects, Arachnids and Nematodes housed
in the Neatby Bldg., on the Central Experimental Farm, in Ottawa, as
part of AAFC.

http://www.canacoll.org/

http://www4.agr.gc.ca/AAFC-AAC/display-afficher.do?id=1251393521021&lang
=eng

There are 3 other collections:
Agri-Food Canada's National Collection of Vascular Plants (DAO)
http://www4.agr.gc.ca/AAFC-AAC/display-afficher.do?id=1256130026226&lang
=eng

The Canadian National Mycological Herbarium (DAOM)

and the Canadian Collection of Fungal Cultures (CCFC)

Together, these collections and the taxonomists associated with them,
form a taxonomic research unit much like that in the USDA, e.g.
http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=12-75-41-00
http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=12-75-29-00
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/np/systematics/usfungu.htm
http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/docs.htm?docid=14027
http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=12-75-39-00
focused on pests and beneficial organisms but also many other endemic
taxa and potential foreign invaders.

Scott A. Redhead
Curator - National Mycological Herbarium / Curator de l'herbier
mycologique national
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada/Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0C6