[Taxacom] serious questions about taxonomy and ontogeny

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue Sep 14 18:41:30 CDT 2010

So what if taxonomy isn't science? Neither is collection curation/management nor
scientific illustration, but these things are all still worth doing as support
for systematics. Actually, I think that there is no objective test for species
boundaries, so we might just all have to face the truth that species (and higher
taxa) are all just ways of cutting up the cake. Systematics is left to work out
the phylogenetic relationships between these bits of cake ... the only bit of
science left ...