[Taxacom] 11:th International Hieracium workshop

Torbjörn Tyler torbjorn.tyler at botmus.lu.se
Sun Sep 19 14:04:38 CDT 2010

Dear friends and colleagues,

this is the first circular to announce that the 11:th international
”Hieracium-workshop” will take place in Sweden 19.–23. June 2011. The
Spånhult estate (www.spanhult.se), situated in Norrahammar between
Jönköping and Mt Taberg (at the southern tip of lake Vättern) have
been booked for the event. If you are considering attending the
workshop, please let me know as soon as possible such that I get a
clue to the number of participants. I will keep you informed as the
planning proceeds and in January I will send further information about
registration, accommodation, and submission of abstracts.

The focus of the workshop will be on Hieracium s. lat. (including
Pilosella), but some more general presentations about the evolution of
apomictic taxa or polyploids are also welcomed. As far as Hieracium s.
lat. is concerned, presentations dealing with taxonomic,
morphological, floristic, biogeographic, cytological, reproductive,
population genetic, ecological, phylogenetic, genomic, and
evolutionary aspects are all welcomed. If you allready now know that
you would like to present someting I will be happy to know.

The schedule for the workshop is still extremely preliminary, but
arrival to Spånhult is planned in the evening 19. June, followed by
one and a half day of indoor activities including presentations of
projects, discussions and exercises aiming at getting to know the
local Hieracium-flora, followed by one and a half day of excursions.
The latter will include a visit to the famous Mt Taberg
(www.taberg.info), well known for its scenic view, unique geology and
peculiar vascular and bryophyte flora. The Hieracium-flora of Mt
Taberg includes 47 microspecies of H. sectt. Hieracium, Vulgata and
Bifida alone! If there are enough interested, a post-workshop
excursion may be arranged on 23. June to some boreal oligotrophic
wetland habitat in the vicinity. (No Hieracia there, but lots of
species appearing exotic to botanists from C Europe or elsewhere.)

Jönköping may be reached by air (to Jönköping airport www.jonkopingairport.se
) from Stockholm-Arlanda or Copenhagen airport, by train from
Copenhagen or Stockholm (approx. 3.5 h, change of train in Nässjö), or
by car (road E4). Once in Jönköping, you may reach Spånhult by local
busses or trains.

Please forward this information to colleagues who might be interested
and are not included in our mailing list!

Yours,
Torbjörn Tyler