[Taxacom] O Canada, and the lack of Canadian vascular plant data on GBIF

Tim Dickinson tim.dickinson at utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 20 08:49:35 CDT 2010

  Edwin Groot is correct. Canadian undergrads *are* being hired to
assist with collection digitization projects in Canadian herbaria thanks
to federal and provincial funding for Canadensys
(http://www.canadensys.net/). In fact, this funding has been sufficient
in several cases to let us hire full-time help for 1-2 years. In the
case of TRT, these funds only arrived late last year, so that we have
had a person in place for just the last 6 months. Before this, almost no
funds were available for databasing (the Northern Ontario Plant
Database, http://www.northernontarioflora.ca/, provided a welcome
exception), and georeferencing was not targeted explicitly at all. As a
result, all of our collection documentation resources (at TRT) have been
applied to databasing up until now. We do not have institutional IT
support for getting collection data online, and so the Canadensys
support is invaluable.

Adolf Ceska is absolutely right that UBC has an excellent e-flora site,
thanks mainly (so far as i know) to the efforts of an ambitious and
creative geography professor and his student programmers, together with
the existence of the UBC database.

A third source of Canadian data that comes to mind is the Flora of the
Canadian Arctic Archipelago (http://www.mun.ca/biology/delta/arcticf/).

In other words, only recently has there been support for a national
effort (unfortunately not yet involving all collections) to make
vascular plant specimen data accessible via GBIF. Canadian vertebrate
zoologists were luckier, as they were able to tie in with earlier
efforts like ORNIS, FISHBASE, and MaNIS. Note that the Canadensys
project includes entomologists as well as botanists and mycologists. My
guess is that what we're seeing with plants at present on GBIF is the
result of lack of financial support, insufficient encouragement earlier
to integrate efforts on BC and the Arctic archipelago with GBIF, and
differences in the magnitudes of the problems involved. Way more taxa,
perhaps in some cases way more data, and a lack of appropriate data
standards. Even now, we are finding that quite apart from cleaning up
our data, the whole process of standardizing to the current Darwin Core
fields is a bit of a nightmare because of the way they seem to reflect
practice with vertebrate collections.

As participants in Canadensys we fondly hope that that the situation
described by Alex McClay will begin to turn around in the coming year.
The determination to do so is there, but the funding hasn't been,
whether at the level of individual institutions, provincial support, or
federal support.

Cheers, ---TAD.

<++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
<Tim Dickinson
<ROM Green Plant Herbarium (TRT)
<
<Department of Natural History
<Royal Ontario Museum
<100 Queen's Park
<Toronto  ON
<CANADA  M5S 2C6
<
<Phone:  (416) 586 8032     FAX:  (416) 586 7921
<E-mail:  tim.dickinson at utoronto.ca