[Taxacom] Organism names in the news - Plant name housekeeping

ICZN-EM iczn-em at nhm.ac.uk
Tue Sep 21 13:39:19 CDT 2010

Somewhat surprisingly, an article on plant taxonomy and nomenclature landed
on the front page of The Guardian yesterday (this is arguably the UK's best
newspaper, parallel to the New York Times). You can read it here:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/sep/19/scientists-prune-world-plant-l
ist?

with this linking to all the comments:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/sep/19/scientists-prune-world-plant-l
ist?showallcomments=true#comment-fold

These make some interesting reading, as of course a few people take this in
flaming, incendiary directions, and a few commentators put a more accurate
spin on this story. Some of you might like to fight the good fight here, as
the Guardian readership is very large.

Overall, the message I think we should take from this is the timeliness of
getting our global names house in order and on-line. We finally have the
tools to do it and it needs to be done in very short order. The world is
beginning to expect it.

Bring on ZooBank.