[Taxacom] Organism names in the news - Plant name housekeeping

bti at dsmz.de bti at dsmz.de
Tue Sep 21 14:11:38 CDT 2010

I saw a different press release where this rather sobering link was
also included:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2010/aug/13/biodiversity-100-tasks-campaign

Brian

Quoting ICZN-EM <iczn-em at nhm.ac.uk>:

> Somewhat surprisingly, an article on plant taxonomy and nomenclature landed
> on the front page of The Guardian yesterday (this is arguably the UK's best
> newspaper, parallel to the New York Times). You can read it here:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/sep/19/scientists-prune-world-plant-l
> ist?
>
> with this linking to all the comments:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/sep/19/scientists-prune-world-plant-l
> ist?showallcomments=true#comment-fold
>
> These make some interesting reading, as of course a few people take this in
> flaming, incendiary directions, and a few commentators put a more accurate
> spin on this story. Some of you might like to fight the good fight here, as
> the Guardian readership is very large.
>
> Overall, the message I think we should take from this is the timeliness of
> getting our global names house in order and on-line. We finally have the
> tools to do it and it needs to be done in very short order. The world is
> beginning to expect it.
>
> Bring on ZooBank.

> of these methods:
>
> (1) http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> Or (2) a Google search specified as:

Dr.B.J.Tindall
DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikro-
organismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra├če 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. J. Overmann
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)