[Taxacom] O Canada, and the lack of Canadian vascular plant data on GBIF

Alec McClay alec.mcclay at shaw.ca
Wed Sep 22 12:42:14 CDT 2010

Tim

Thanks for the update - I'm glad to hear that there are efforts under
way to fill this gap. I notice that Canadensys is focussed around
university collections and some museums. Do you know if there is any
similar effort to get data from federal and provincial collections
into GBIF? Any idea what proportion of total Canadian holdings is
represented by the collections in Canadensys?

Alec.

>As participants in Canadensys we fondly hope that that the situation
>described by Alec McClay will begin to turn around in the coming year.
>The determination to do so is there, but the funding hasn't been,
>whether at the level of individual institutions, provincial support, or
>federal support.
>
>Cheers, ---TAD.
>
><++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
><Tim Dickinson
><ROM Green Plant Herbarium (TRT)

Alec McClay, Ph.D., P. Biol.

McClay Ecoscience
15 Greenbriar Crescent
Sherwood Park, Alberta
Canada T8H 1H8

Phone (780) 464-4962
Mobile (780) 953-4077
Fax       (780) 410-0496
Skype alec.mcclay
Email <mailto:alec.mcclay at shaw.ca>alec.mcclay at shaw.ca or
<mailto:biocontrol at mcclay-ecoscience.com>biocontrol at mcclay-ecoscience.com

www.mcclay-ecoscience.com
Biological control, invasive species, insect-plant ecology