[Taxacom] Programmer Analyst Position at Missouri Botanical Garden
Jim.Solomon at mobot.org
Wed Sep 22 13:51:31 CDT 2010
Missouri Botanical Garden
To receive consideration apply on-line:
Summary of the Position:
Programmer Analyst will upgrade the heavily-used, frequently updated,
but computationally static resource, Angiosperm Phylogeny Website
<http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/Research/APweb/> ), to a dynamic platform
that will serve structured plant diversity data via a website, web
services, and semantic queries, and will integrate dynamically with
phylogenetic and other biodiversity databases, and with visualization
tools, particularly for education and outreach. The data served will
include phylogenies, taxonomies, synonyms, images, literature, and
extensive character data.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Working under the direction of the VP, Science & Conservation,
and closely partnering with the developer of APWeb, the Programmer
Analyst will design and develop new database-driven functionality and a
different "look" for the Angiosperm Phylogeny Website.
* Utilizes established standards and procedures for software
* Supports and maintains existing software applications; tests
operation of completed programs-debugs as needed.
* Coordinates implementation of new systems with System
* Maintains up to date documentation of systems and operations.
* Reports status of projects to management and end users.
* Prepares and formally presents proposals, technical reports,
etc. as needed.
* Analyzes designs as needed; providing budget, cost, and
scheduling input for design assignments.
Qualifications Include: ,
* B.S. degree in Computer Science or related field, such as
biodiversity informatics, required.
* An equivalent combination of skills, education and experience
may be considered.
* Strong initiative; proven track record of taking ownership of
projects through successful completion required.
* Thorough understanding of software application and website
development, database and system design. Minimum of 2-3 years'
experience working as a programmer/analyst in a production software
application development environment, or well-proven online application
* In-depth knowledge and experience developing and deploying
server applications using a variety of languages on a Linux/apache
* Requires ability to perform both web-based and client-server
applications analysis, design and development.
* Requires proficient ability to deploy, maintain, integrate,
and optimize enterprise-level software applications.
* Requires knowledge and ability to utilize software development
methodologies such as UML, ERD, source code control, code review, and
* Requires knowledge and ability to utilize the following
programming languages: C, Perl, PHP, Python, HTML, XML, Xquery.
* Requires exceptional knowledge of core technologies such as web
interface programming using perl and shell scripts in a GNU/Linux and
management and query.
* Prior experience working with biological or biodiversity
science and data is preferred.
* Minimum of 2-3 years' experience preparing quality
presentations or posters using Microsoft PowerPoint and other
* Strong technical writing skills and excellent presentation
* Ability to work independently with little instruction;
coordinate and prioritize multiple tasks, set deadlines, and complete
projects in a timely manner.
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
Minimum of 3-5 years' experience in working with diverse teams including
international members required.
* Minimum of 2-3 years' experience with using the Internet for
online communications and remote team coordination required.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, high
volume, deadline-driven environment.
* Occasional domestic and international travel required - less
* Scheduling flexibility that allows working some weekends and
evenings is required.
* Demonstrates highest level of professional and ethical
Required Computer Skills:
* Strong computer skills.
* Ability to utilize Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
* Must be able to obtain and maintain a passport for
* Must be able to obtain visas, vaccinations, and immunizations
for all countries.
Required Language Skills:
* Fluency in English both orally and verbally.
* Ability to travel independently for long periods in economy
class on airplanes, trains and other conveyances both domestic and
* Ability to utilize computer keyboard (typing), walk about
facility frequently throughout work day, and sit for extended periods of
the work day (may sit up to 75% of work day).
* Must be able to occasionally lift and carry up to 20 pounds.
* Frequent standing, reaching and stooping.
* May be required to perform tasks at varying heights (i.e.,
climb step stools, etc.).
* Quiet indoor office setting, shared by multiple staff; cubical
* Occasional domestic and international travel to other
institutions working temporarily at meeting and event venues.
The requirements and duties listed are representative, and not
exhaustive, of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required.
For more information please visit our website or contact our Recruiter
Recruiter: Tracy Breckenridge
Direct Line: (314) 577-9567
E-mail: tracy.breckenridge at mobot.org
To Apply: http://www.mobot.org/jobs/mbgjobs.asp#J050
More information about the Taxacom