[Taxacom] Organism names in the news - Plant name housekeeping

bti at dsmz.de bti at dsmz.de
Thu Sep 23 00:03:25 CDT 2010

Tony,
In the areas of virus and prokaryote names the code compliant names
have been tracked for a number of decades, but we simply don't get the
same press coverage because if it's already done it is not headline
news ;-) Perhaps we should stop doing it, wait ten years and then
start all over again with Science and Nature articles.
As Arthur Chapman is aware his lists are of known species, otherwise
places like Australia would be almost sterile with regards the number
of named prokaryotes known to occur there.

Brian
PS be nice if the databases that aggregate names were to also pick up
on what has been done already.

Quoting Tony.Rees at csiro.au:

> Dear all,
>
> Apart from the Guardian missing the point in the main (perhaps the
> article should be entitled "Guardian reporter discovers synonyms"),
> the main part of the article appears to be drawn from this press
> release:
>
> http://www.kew.org/about-kew/press-media/press-releases-kew/kew-and-missouri-announce-plant-list/
>
> This states that a version of "The Plant List" will aim to be
> published in the last quarter of 2010 i.e. presumably some time in
> the next 3+ months and also:
>
> "the result will be far from perfect but it will be the most
> comprehensive list to date, will include almost all scientific names
> at species level that have been published for plants. At least 80%
> of the names in the list will be clearly flagged either as accepted
> (the correct name for a known plant species) or as a synonym with a
> pointer to the correct name."
>
> To me this is much more significant than the headline "Scientists
> prune list of world's plants" which according to Google already has
> been reproduced over 18,000 times in 3 days...
>
> Also of interest is the quotation reportedly from Alan Paton that
> the number of valid species names for flowering plants is likely to
> be around 400,000. If this figure is reliable then this is an
> increase of some 48,000 on the value provided by Paton et al. (2008)
> and used in producing estimates of total named extant species such
> as Arthur Chapman's revised (2009) document, bringing his previous
> total from just under 1.9m to close to 1.95m.
>
> Now all we need is "The Animal List" and we will all be happy :) (as
> bacteria and maybe also viruses already have their house/s in order)
>
> Regards
>
> Tony Rees
> Manager, Divisional Data Centre,
> CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research,
> GPO Box 1538,
> Hobart, Tasmania 7001, Australia
> Ph: 0362 325318 (Int: +61 362 325318)
> Fax: 0362 325000 (Int: +61 362 325000)
> e-mail: Tony.Rees at csiro.au
> Manager, OBIS Australia regional node, http://www.obis.org.au/
> Biodiversity informatics research activities:
> http://www.cmar.csiro.au/datacentre/biodiversity.htm
> Personal info:
> http://www.fishbase.org/collaborators/collaboratorsummary.cfm?id=1566

Dr.B.J.Tindall
DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikro-
organismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
Inhoffenstra├če 7B
38124 Braunschweig
Germany
Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
http://www.dsmz.de
Director: Prof. Dr. J. Overmann
Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny

DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)