[Taxacom] The role of ADBC (NSF national digitizationsolicitation) in the larger digitization context: a beginning, not the end

JOCQUE Rudy rudy.jocque at africamuseum.be
Wed Sep 29 06:49:04 CDT 2010

Stephen comments remind me of the beginning of the computer era. You did not realize how they would change your life until you started to use them. And it is a big mistake to think that only specimens that have been identified (to species) have to be databased. Data on those that are known to family, or even order, can be very informative and are an essential part of these databases.

We have medium sized collections (250 000 samples) of African invertebrates non-insects and everything has been databased and 4/5 georeferenced. We now wonder how we were able to work without that database.

1.	You precisely know what you have. We have for instance 81 173 samples of arachnids and I know precisely how many specimens there are (325126) . I can tell you for instance in a few seconds what families we have from Kenya collected above 2000 m. Requests about the holdings for further study can be answered in seconds.
2.	It is extremely easy and time saving to export the data in any format you want; for publication or whatever other reason to distribute information. No more typing mistakes.
3.	It is easy to make maps and see patterns once your locality database is georeferenced and infer from that expected distributions which can be important in planning fieldwork.

By mapping distributions of large genera we recently realized that miombo vegetation in Africa has its own very specific fauna different from what is found in other woodland formations. Something we would never have realized if the bulk of the data had not been databased.

4.	It becomes quite simple to organize and follow up loans .

Etc.

Rudy JOCQUÉ
Royal Museum for Central Africa
Department of African Zoology
Leuvensesteenweg 13
3080 Tervuren, Belgium
Tel.: +32 2 769 54 10 Fax : +32 2 769 56 95

JOURNAL OF AFROTROPICAL ZOOLOGY

A peer reviewed journal on Africa's fauna
              without page charges
http://www.africamuseum.be/research/publications/rmca/journals/JAZ