[Taxacom] The role of ADBC (NSF nationaldigitizationsolicitation) in the larger digitization context:a beginning, not the end

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Sep 30 15:44:29 CDT 2010

David,
I agree with some of what you say, though I don't think that taxonomists often
have too much difficulty in finding material to revise, at least if you see the
job not as identifying every specimen of a taxon in every collection, but rather
as sorting out the taxon using a representative sample from collections (so it
is the taxon that is revised, not collections). I don't think taxonomists are in
any danger of running out of work, even if cataloguing was off the agenda
completely. The reality is that there are some people who just love to do
collection management type activities (people who probably played with toy
soldiers and collected stamps as a child!), and they seem to have more in common
with management types and funders than they do with scientists, and they can
perhaps write funding applications that sound more attractive to those who dish
out the dosh ...
Stephen