[Taxacom] Job opportunity - GIS Unit - Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
S.Bachman at kew.org
Tue Aug 30 04:00:33 CDT 2011
JOB TITLE: Spatial Information Scientist
HOURS OF WORK: 41 hours (gross)
JOB STATUS: Fixed Term Appointment/ Loan opportunity (24 months in duration)
SALARY PER ANNUM: up to £26,047
DEPARTMENT AND LOCATION: Herbarium, Library, Art & Archives, Kew / Biodiversity / GIS Unit
Joining our innovative Geographic Information Science (GIS) team this role is required to deliver Kew's mission by addressing the demand for GIS and Remote Sensing (RS) based project work, especially habitat conservation surveys, but also species level work e.g. conservation assessments.
Working within a unit with an increasing demand for projects incorporating GIS work, the Spatial Information Scientist will enable the GIS unit to more fully contribute to the key performance targets and will actively contribute to Kew's Breathing Planet Programme.
With a degree, or equivalent, in GIS/RS relevant disciplines, the post-holder will be expected to have proven experience in delivering GIS and RS projects to users and customers, along with proven experience in the field of remote sensing applied to vegetation.
The following job specific competencies are also considered an essential requirement for the role:
* A sound understanding of GIS and RS technologies is needed, as is a working knowledge of ESRI and ERDAS software. Expertise with other GIS/RS software will be valued
* The post will demand a candidate who is enthusiastic, organised, self motivated and able to promote techniques to potential customers.
* Ability to learn and understand complex scientific concepts quickly
* Well-organised, capable of planning own work commitments, meeting deadlines and dealing with peaks of activity and unexpected events.
* Ability to work within an office environment, but could be called upon to travel and do fieldwork, training and presentations.
* Have a logical mind capable of analysing and understanding sometimes complex data and situations and reducing them to simple steps toward resolution compatible with effective control.
* Strong IT skills
* Ability to work well within a team
* Some experience of project design and planning.
For full details of the job purpose, accountabilities and essential education, skills and experience for this role please view the job description and person specification document.
Salary is up to £26,047 per annum and benefits include 30 days holiday per year, a choice of defined benefit or stakeholder pension, a flexible benefits scheme as well as a great working environment.
Applications are preferred by email to jobs at kew.org<mailto:jobs at kew.org> If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to call the recruitment team on 020 8332 5150 (24 hour) or 020 8332 3135 (office hours). Please quote Ref 4001.
Closing date: Friday 9th September
Interview date: TBC
The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew is a non-departmental public body with exempt charitable status, whose principal place of business is at Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 3AB, United Kingdom.
The information contained in this email and any attachments is intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you have received this message in error, please return it immediately and permanently delete it. Do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this email or in any attachment.
Any views expressed in this email do not necessarily reflect the opinions of RBG Kew.
Any files attached to this email have been inspected with virus detection software by RBG Kew before transmission, however you should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachments. RBG Kew accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses.
More information about the Taxacom