[Taxacom] Question about herbarium management

Peter B. Phillipson pphillipson at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 01:02:09 CST 2011

Dear Vicinius

Sometimes a single herbarium sheet is not adequate to represent a specimen
of larger plants (e.g. palm species, but also many others), and it is common
practice to retain 2 or more sheets of a single collection with the
different representative parts of the specimen mounted on separate sheets,
each with a copy of the same collection label, and usually with each sheet
marked as: Sheet 1 of 2, 2 of 2, or 1 of 3, 2 of 3 .... etc. I am thinking
that this may be why you were send this voluminous material, and you might
want to consider this approach.

If this is not the case, then you might want to contact the sending
institution, perhaps the extra material was sent in error, or if not and you
decide to send it on to another institution, the sending institution might
like to correct there records - it is always good to know where duplicate
material has been sent, so much of this information is now databased and it
is good if this is updated, at Missouri Botanical Garden we are certainly
interested to know where duplicates of our collections ends up.

Pete Phillipson

Peter B. Phillipson
Africa and Madagascar Department
Missouri Botanical Garden