[Taxacom] Question about herbarium management

Perkins,Kent D kperkins at flmnh.ufl.edu
Thu Dec 1 09:56:51 CST 2011

Yes, Pete, has a good point.  Make sure you keep material that amply represents the specimen.  In the case of herbaceous specimens we may keep more than one specimen if there is a great range is plant size or leaf morphology.

Record keeping is probably improving and, perhaps, it really is a good idea to contact the sending institution so they know where the duplicate is going.  I hope that one day we will have a "mother" database similar to the libraries' OCLC database to help us catalog labels and keep track of specimens.

In regards as to whether photocopier toner is universally archival.  This is another great question.  As for printing labels, we settled on HP laser jets as our standard.  Beware, at least some desk jet label ink will bleed when wet.

Kent

Kent D. Perkins, Manager of the Collection
University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS)
Florida Museum of Natural History
379 Dickinson Hall
PO Box 110575