[Taxacom] Linking animal names to primary literature

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Fri Dec 2 22:29:18 CST 2011

Dear Stephen,

No offense taken :)

I think there are several ways to arrive at the same goal. In my case, it's automation. I'm one guy with a few computers, so I write code to link stuff together. Another approach is to get a community of people together to create a resource, such as WikiSpecies. That's great, but that's not a skill that I have.

Regarding collaboration, I plan to be making the results available as downloads so people can grab the mapping and use it in their own projects. For example, you may well find it useful when populating Wikispecies, and I will be looking at getting some additional mappings out of Wikispecies.

In terms of "co-ordination", my sense is that often ends up being a case of marking out territory. I want this mapping for my own projects, no one seems to have it in the form I want (e.g., digital identifiers rather than text strings), I can discuss with others  how one might make the mapping, or I can just go ahead and do it. I'm a believer in "small pieces loosely joined".

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy