[Taxacom] monoecious/dioecious in plant descriptions

Curtis Clark lists at curtisclark.org
Mon Dec 5 14:43:25 CST 2011

On 12/5/2011 9:18 AM, Richard Jensen wrote:
> I don't see the problem.  While we know that sporophytes produce spores
> (asexual reproduction), we also know that those spores develop into
> either male or female gametophytes.  To describe a sporophyte as
> unisexual simply means that it produces either male or female
> gametophytes, but not both.

Few botanists see the problem, but around 20% of undergraduates do,
especially those who have encountered plants in horticultural settings
and find their understanding shaken. I'm not saying the world should
change to make my job easier; it's just something I'm opinionated about.

Professor, Biological Sciences                   +1 909 979 6371