[Taxacom] monoecious/dioecious in plant descriptions

Abdul Ghafoor artemisiella89 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 5 18:50:48 CST 2011

The application  of terms should be as given by George H. M. Lawrence's book "Taxonomy of Vascular Plants" and as I always used is as follows

Monoecious: with staminate and pistillate flowers on the same plant, as in corn; a term  properly applied to a taxonomic unit, not to flowers

Dioecious: having staminate and pistillate flowers on different plants; a term properly applied to a taxonomic unit, not to flowers

An inflorescence having male and female flowers in it is called Androgynus

Stating that flowers are monoecious or dioecious is misappropriate .....

Hope this clarifies your confusion...