[Taxacom] Finding your species in Mendeley

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Tue Dec 6 03:38:18 CST 2011

Dear Paul,

On 6 Dec 2011, at 09:11, Paul Kirk wrote:

> Building lists of names and linking them to the literature is the function of nomenclators ... sounds like wheel re-inventing to me :-)

If nomenclators could tell me what I want then I wouldn't be doing this. I want name + bibliographic identifier, not name plus some cryptic citation where the same journal may be written 10 different ways and the citation contains cryptic clues about different dates, or separate articles are joined together because they had the same title, etc.

> 'We' (mycology and botany) are well served by IF and IPNI but the zoologists ... some work is needed in the domain

Yes, plants & fungi are perhaps better served, but IPNI doesn't link to literature, just "microcitations". IF has lots of names linked to a scanned image of the page that has the name, which is great, but it's not just about people being able to read the description.

I want to get the underlying  text, I want to extract names, localities, ecological interations (e.g., phrases like "x n. sp. a parasite of y"). Furthermore I want to discover related facts. If I have a bibliographic identifier such as a DOI or PubMed id I can retrieve DNA sequences, citations, etc. And the reverse becomes true. A database of phylogenies, say, may include papers that publish new names. We can link this information together, so we can tell the user "here is name x, and there is a phylogeny for the taxon with that name here".

For me it is all about the links -- but I think you knew that ;)

Regards

Rod

> In haste, building lists of names and linking them to the literature ... it's what I do - some of the time :-)
>
> Paul

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy
Graham Kerr Building