[Taxacom] Wikispecies as an open alternative to Catalogue of Life

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Dec 15 13:50:22 CST 2011

just to further clarify:

>these projects have different goals<

I'm not sure that this is completely correct? While I don't doubt Rod's grasp of the goals of BioStor or Mendeley, I'm not sure where he gets his opinion from of the goal(s) of Wikispecies? Certainly, my goals on Wikispecies are to assemble a massive online bibliography, linked to BHL, etc., but with an added element of taxonomic structuring absent from BioStor and Mendeley. My approach is to strive to create a single classification that reflects current phylogenetic thinking as much as possible - a sort of middle ground pragmatic approach which admits that phylogeny is forever inconclusive, while at the same time not reverting to an extreme "classification is merely a filing cabinet" philosophy.

>it lacks the kind of automation needed to be able to rapidly populate it from scratch<

the same automation that inevitably leads to unchecked propagation of errors ...

Stephen