[Taxacom] PhD project: Origin and Evolution of New Zealand Beetles

Jason Mate jfmate at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 20 08:49:41 CST 2011

No records outside NZ and Australia. Ballast sand is the most likely based on other similar distributions of psammophilous aphodines, particularly in the N Atlantic. I don't know what the shipping routes would have been like down under during the late 19th or early 20th century but I would venture that there was brisk trade between both colonies. And considering the distance to other areas with similar climates, the chances of survival of any would be colonists would have been very slim. On the other hand coprophagous or saproxylic aphodines have been able to move much
more widely (Aphodius pseudolividus or
Saprosites mendax for example)

Best

Jason