[Taxacom] North America, Central America + S.E. Asia sister taxa

Kipling (Kip) Will kipwill at berkeley.edu
Tue Dec 20 10:55:31 CST 2011

Johan,
Peculiar in the sense that it is atypical for ground beetle
distributions, thus my search to see if it found in other group.
However, I would not describe it as "South East Asia and the New World",
since the New World is a much, much bigger area than the area where the
beetles are found, nor does "trans-Pacific" clearly capture the pattern.
The latter strikes me as vague since Australia-New Zealand-Chile and
Korea-California are both "trans-Pacific", but surely due to different
historical events, and these different from North America, Central
America-S.E. Asia.

To be more specific the New World clade is only found east of the
Rockies would be more likely have a Laurasian connection to the
Thailand-Vietnam clade, I think. We have plenty of Laurasian or
Beringial connections in ground beetles, but typically these have some
elements also in the Paleartic, which is lacking in my beetles. Perhaps
they had a much wider distribution once and extinction has eliminated
the middle. However, such a scenario feels a bit too Darlingtonian for
my me at this point.

Kip