[Taxacom] Cateres pennatus and Halicyoides mamus

Claus Rasmussen clausr at life.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 23 13:40:41 CST 2011

Hello all,

In an important pollinator paper from 1923 (Clements, F.E. & Long, F.L. (1923) Experimental pollination, an outline of the ecology of flowers and insects. Carneige institution), several US insect names were apparently misspelled. I have figured out all but these two and wonder if anyone here can help decipher correct names so I can get the order, family or maybe even current genus:

Cateres pennatus
Halicyoides mamus

As an example of the tricky spelling the "Cenis uhleri" listed in the book is in fact Oeneis uhleri.

Thanks in advance and seasons greetings,

Claus Rasmussen, Ph.D.
Department of Bioscience
Aarhus University
Ny Munkegade 114, Bldg. 1540