[Taxacom] conversion of GPS coordinates UTM into LatLong

Frederick W. Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Tue Feb 8 08:51:43 CST 2011

On 2/8/2011 8:33 AM, Andre van Proosdij wrote:

> I'm using georeferenced herbarium specimen for species distributions modeling purposes. Many of the specimens have GPS coordinates in UTM, which I wish to convert into Latitude\Longitude. Does anyone of you know a tool, either spreadsheet or online service, that can be used to convert GPS coordinates from UTM into Latitude/Longitude? There are some online tools but these can only be used for conversions of single locations. I’m looking for a tool that is capable of converting batches of say 100 or more locations in one run.

* the thing I've traditionally done is to format the co-ordinates for
input into a GPS program as waypoints, and then converting and exporting
them in the desired format. But some later-generation GPS programs won't
accept bulk imports of ascii waypoints...

fred schueler
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm