[Taxacom] Occurrence data...

fautin at ku.edu fautin at ku.edu
Sat Feb 19 13:21:19 CST 2011

This is how it should be for deep marine species.  Collections are
typically made at "stations."  It can be complex and time-consuming to
make deep-sea collections (launch and tow a net, bottles, etc., then
retrieve the collecting devices and sort the contents).  All specimens
(particularly for bottom collections) clearly came from the same place.
Particularly for the historic collections, such as the Swedish and German
Deep Sea Expeditions, the Galathea Expedition, etc., members of each taxon
were sent to the taxonomic experts of the time, and they published a
chapter on their findings in a series of proceedings from the expedition
(contemporary collections are typically published in any appropriate
journal).  There was no integration of what taxa co-occur.

The only ocean-going biological expedition of which I am aware that did
that was the Challenger (1873-1876), which published 50 volumes of
proceedings, the final two of which are station-by-station accounts.  I
have visions of little 12-year-old British boys running around a room
chalking up names under each station's number as the results from each
taxon arrived.  However it was done, it is magnificent.

But now with computers, all of us taxon experts can simply link
occurrences, as we identify specimens, to a master list and voila!  Some
sense of ecology.  I had hoped OBIS would provide the central integration
point for this but my desideratum fell on deaf ears.

All the stations from which sea anemones were collected for any expedition
of which I am aware are available for download from my database.  In fact,
we entered all stations of the Challenger, whether anemones were collected
or not, along with environmental data collected (surface and bottom
temperature, salinity, bottom type) as well as gear used (which affects
what is and is not collected), so they are also available.  We entered
data on cepahalopods collected to CephBase (not sure it is still
functional), and linked those records to our master Challenger station
data, which also has a GIS connection so the location of the station is
shown on a map.  It worked as we had hoped.  But it was not picked up
further.

So the concept works.  And it would save everyone enormous amounts of time
-- as well as providing a much better view of biology than the taxon by
taxon efforts we have do.  Best of all, records can be stratified by date,
so biota in any collections made recently in the same general area as a
Challenger station can be compared to what the Challenger found...

Daphne G. Fautin
Professor, Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Curator, Natural History Museum and Biodiversity Research Center
Haworth Hall
University of Kansas
1200 Sunnyside Avenue
Lawrence, Kansas 66045-7534  USA

telephone 1-785-864-3062
fax 1-785-864-5321
evo user name fautin
website http://invertebratezoology.biodiversity.ku.edu/home

       direct to database of hexacorals, including sea anemones
               newest version released 22 December 2010
         ***http://hercules.kgs.ku.edu/Hexacoral/Anemone2***